The Minister's Council on Asylum Seekers and Detention (the Council) is established as an advisory council to the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection (the Minister). Members of the Council are appointed by the Minister for their expertise, demonstrated commitment to immigration and humanitarian issues and community representation.
The principal purpose of the Council is to provide independent advice to the Minister on policies, processes, services and programmes necessary to achieve the timely, fair and effective resolution of immigration status for people seeking migration outcomes in Australia. This includes people whose immigration status is unresolved residing either in the community or any form of immigration detention.
In particular, the Council will provide advice on:
- policies, services and programmes designed to assist the management of asylum seeker issues
- policies, services and programmes designed to support the timely resolution of immigration status outcomes
- the appropriateness and adequacy of services available to assist people whose immigration status is unresolved
- immigration detention matters including, but not limited to, the suitability of facilities, accommodation and service arrangements.
In addressing these issues, the Council will:
- develop a work programme, agreed with by the Minister, identifying priority issues to be addressed
- respond to specific issues identified as a priority by the Minister and provide advice accordingly
- liaise with relevant non-government and inter-governmental organisations, statutory bodies and immigration detention service providers on a regular basis
- regularly visit the range of immigration detention facilities in operation to obtain information on the suitability, environment and operation of each facility
- contribute to and provide advice about areas of research, that would aid in the improvement of policies, programmes and services
- report on the activities of the Council to the Minister on a regular basis.
The Council is to provide a forum for the Minister to consult on issues relevant to its principal purpose.